Thursday, November 13, 2008

Tying one on...

Interestingly enough, one of the more talked about decisions (read: thing I keep bringing up until I get my way) is what I am going to wear to my own wedding...

I loathe (yes, loathe!) rented tuxes. I have spent nearly $1500 in rented tuxedos over the course of the last 10 years...and all I have to show for it is a rash. There is little else I dislike more than a rented tux (a pin tie on the DJ while he plays the b-52's is the only thing that remotely comes close). The scratchy shirt. The ill fitting (PLEATED!!!) pants. The clunky shoes. Its all for the birds. I will not make my groomsmen wear tuxedos (you're welcome). I can't justify it. I'm a better friend than they are (you know, if you made me rent a tux).


I am a fan of Jcrew suits - flat front pants - cut for the tall-ish. I would wear it when I am not, you know, getting married. Perfect for my wedding. Understated and classic. I have my eye on one or two. You can take the guy out of Miami...

This is where H and I diverge - I have no interest in being buttoned up, or having a tie on at my own wedding. I think everyone thinks I am joking. But I am serious. Seriously. Despite my job - its not how I live my life. The second I am out of court, that tie is off. More than that - I like the look of a suit with no tie. I'm more comfortable, thereby, more confident (I think). Isn't that what we all want. Of course, there is compromise - I just don't think H (or her mother) are going to go for it.

I think I am going to lose this battle. I am prepared to lose this battle. Its just that when we watch Bridezillas, those crazy [girls] do everything short of holding their breath until they get what they want. Maybe I should start practicing...

No comments: